12 Mayıs 2013 Pazar

Tennessee State Song

Tennessee State Song

"My Homeland, Tennessee," "The Tennessee Waltz," and Nine Others


Official State Song #1"My Homeland, Tennessee"
Lyrics: Nell Grayson Taylor
Music: Roy Lamont Smith
Adoption: 1925
Official State Song #2"When It's Iris Time in Tennessee"
Lyrics: Willa Waid Newman
Music: Willa Waid Newman
Adoption: 1935
Official State Song #3"My Tennessee"
Lyrics: Frances Hannah Tranum
Music: Frances Hannah Tranum
Adoption: 1955
Official State Song #4"The Tennessee Waltz"
Lyrics: Redd Stewart
Music: Pee Wee King
Adoption: 1965
Official State Song #5"Rocky Top"
Lyrics: Felice and Boudleaux Bryant
Music: Felice and Boudleaux Bryant
Adoption: 1982
Official State Song #6"Tennessee"
Lyrics: Vivian Rorie
Music: Vivian Rorie
Adoption: 1992
Official State Song #7"The Pride of Tennessee"
Lyrics: Fred Congdon, Thomas Vaughn, and Carol Elliot
Music: Fred Congdon, Thomas Vaughn, and Carol Elliot
Adoption: 1996
Tennessee State U.S. Bicentennial March
"The Tennessee Salute"
Lyrics: Richard M. "Pek" Gunn
Music: Richard M. "Pek" Gunn
Adoption: 1975
Tennessee State U.S. Bicentennial State Song"Fly Eagle, Fly"
Lyrics: James Rogers
Music: James Rogers
Adoption: 1976
Tennessee Bicentennial School Song"My Home Will Always Be in Tennessee"
Lyrics: Shirley McRae, Terre Campbella-McCormick, and Margaret Campbelle duGard
Music: Shirley McRae, Terre Campbella-McCormick, and Margaret Campbelle duGard
Adoption: 1996
Tennessee Bicentennial Rap Song"A Tennessee Bicentennial Rap: 1796-1996"
Lyrics: Joan Hill Hanks
Music: Joan Hill Hanks
Adoption: 1996

HISTORY
Tennessee has adopted seven official state songs. The first state song, "My Homeland, Tennessee," won a contest for the state song in 1925. A decade later, "When It’s Iris Time in Tennessee" became the second state song, two years after the iris became the state flower. The next state song, "My Tennessee," was not fully recognized until 1955 when it was officially designated the state public school song. In 1965, the "Tennessee Waltz" by Redd Stewart and Pee Wee King gained nationwide popularity. Seventeen years later, in 1982, "Rocky Top," which describes the titular mythical town, was adopted as the state’s fifth official song. The upbeat composition is often played during University of Tennessee football and basketball games. In 1992, "Tennessee" by Vivian Rorie was adopted, and "The Pride of Tennessee’’ was designated the seventh official song of the state in 1996. 
In addition to the seven state songs, the state has adopted four "bicentennial songs," two honoring the nation's bicentennial and two celebrating the state bicentennial. In 1975, "The Tennessee Salute" was designated Tennessee’s U.S. bicentennial march. In 1976, "Fly Eagle, Fly!" was also adopted as a U.S. bicentennial song. Twenty years later, "My Home Will Always Be in Tennessee!" was adopted as the state bicentennial school song and "A Tennessee Bicentennial Rap: 1796-1996" was designated the Tennessee bicentennial rap song.  -World Trade Press
LYRICS
"The Tennessee Waltz"
I was dancin' with my darlin' to the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend I happened to see
I introduced her to my loved one
And while they were dancin'
My friend stole my sweetheart from me.

I remember the night and the Tennessee Waltz
Now I know just how much I have lost
Yes, I lost my little darlin' the night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz.

I was dancin' with my darlin' to the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend I happened to see
I introduced her to my loved one
And while they were dancin'
My friend stole my sweetheart from me.

I remember the night and the Tennessee Waltz
Now I know just how much I have lost
Yes, I lost my little darlin' the night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz
"Rocky Top"
Wish that I was on ole Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee Hills.
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top,
Ain't no telephone bills.

Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
Half bear the other half cat;
Wild as a mink as sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that.

Chorus

Rocky Top, you'll always be,
Home sweet home to me.
Good ole Rocky Top,
Rocky Top Tennessee.

Once two strangers climbed ole Rocky Top,
Lookin' for a moonshine still.
Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top,
Reckon they never will.
Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top,
Dirt's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top,
get their corn from a jar.


Chorus


I've had years of cramped up city life;
Trapped like a duck in a pen.
All I know is it's a pity life,
Can't be simple again.

Chorus
"Tennessee"
I do not know of another state
And don't forget the rivers
Where I'd rather be
Where visitors long to stay.
Than this great state I'm living in
And many have voiced in parting
And that is Tennessee
"I'm sure glad I passed this way."
I love the stars dearly
You will see the cattle grazing
And there are surely three
Beside a cotton field;
That show the Grand Divisions
And there's the Grand Ole Opry
Of my home-land, Tennessee
And a feeling it's all God's will.

Where could you find a meadow
I have lived there all my life
With grass so vividly green?
It's where I'm going to be
Where could you find the mountains
Although I've traveled quite a bit,
With such majestic scene?
I'll still take Tennessee


You will never find so bright a moon
Oh, I sure love the state I'm in:
To shine down from above
The great state of Tennessee!
You will also see the robin
The wren, and the turtle dove.

"My Homeland, Tennessee"

Oh Tennesse, that gave us birth,
To thee our hearts bow down.
For thee our love and loyalty
Shall weave a fadeless crown.
Thy purple hills our cradle was;
Thy fields our mother breast
Beneath thy sunny bended skies,
Our childhood days were blessed.


Chorus
:
Oh Tennessee: Fair Tennessee:
Our love for thee can never die:
Dear homeland, Tennessee.


'Tas long ago our fathers came,
A free and noble band,
Across the mountain's frowning heights
To seek a promised land.
And here before their raptured eyes;
In beauteous majesty:
Outspread the smiling valleys
Of the winding Tennessee.


Chorus

'Could we forget our heritage
Of heroes strong and brave?
Could we do aught by cherist it,
Unsullied to the grave? Ah no! the State where Jackson sleeps,
Shall ever peerless be.
We glory in the majesty;
Our homeland Tennessee.
"When It's Iris Time in Tennessee"
Sweetness of Spring memories bring
Of a place I long to be.
Land of Sunshine calls this old heart of mine,
Come back to Tennessee.


Chorus:
When it's Irish time down in Tennessee,
I'll be coming back to stay
Where the mockingbird sings at the break of day
A lilting love song gay.
Where the Iris grows,
Where the Harpeth flowers,
That is where I long to be.
There's a picture there that lives in memory
When it's Iris time in Tennessee.


Rocks and the rills deep tinted hills,
There's no spot so dear to me.
Where'er I roam still it's my Home Sweet Home,
My own, my Tennessee.
"The Pride of Tennessee"
From the Smokie Mountain Mornings to the Mississippi shores
Let's take time to remember those who went before
Whose lives made a difference in the world for you and me
Their courage faith and vision are the Pride of Tennessee
Sequoyah was a Cherokee the chief of all his tribe
His people learned to read and write with the alphabet he scribed
When Tennessee became a State its Governor was clear
There was no better leader than the gallant John Sevier
From the backwoods to the Congress to his stand at the Alamo
Davy Crockett gave his life for the country he loved so

Three Presidents from Tennessee made impressions on this land
Jackson, Polk, and Johnson were men who took a stand
Ida Wells Barnett fought bravely for the rights of men
When they were killed by prejudice for the color of their skin
He was drafted in the first world war though he did not want to go
His shooting skills made Alvin York a national hero

When women of Tennessee believed they had the right to vote
Ann Dallas Dudley led the fight and gave them hope
Cordell Hull had a vision for peace around the world
The United Nations where all countries' flags unfurl
From Beale Street down in Memphis to New York front page news
W.C. Handy's music made him father of the blues

Yes Courage, Faith, and Vision are the Pride of Tennessee.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder